Is the vision of Allah Almighty true in dreams?
In a Hadith Qudsy we read, “Narrated by Ibn Abbas from the Prophet that he said: ‘Tonight, my Lord, may God be blessed and exalted appeared to me in the best image …’” (Narrated by Imam Ahmad (16026) and Tirmidhi (3159).
Al-Hafez said that the people of the scholars said that it is possible to see the Almighty in a dream, and His vision needed interpretation always.
Al-Ghazali said, such as those who see Allah in a dream, His Deity cannot take any form and image, but His Deity ends with a specific definition to the slave by a tangible example of light or other, and that example it true in being a mode of definition. The dreamer will say: I saw God in a dream, but this does not mean that he saw the Being of God, as he can say in the case of other objects.
Al-Nawawi said explaining Sahih Muslim, Ayad said, the scholars agreed that it is permissible to see Allah in a dream, and this is true.
Al-Baghawi said in his book Sharh Al-Sunnah, seeing God in a dream is permissible, if one sees Allah, and He promises paradise, forgiveness or escaping fire, His words and promises are true. If he sees Him looking at him, it is His mercy, and if he sees him looking somewhere else, it is a warning of sins.
I will share here some of what was said concerning the interpretation of dreaming of God Almighty:
- The vision of God Almighty in a dream a sign of good tidings and evidence of true religion.
- If the dreamer finds God in a body of light, then this is good news for the great good that will be obtained by God’s permission.
- The vision of God in a dream talking and looking at the dreamer is proof that God Almighty will grant him mercy and increases His grace upon him.
- If a person finds that he is speaking to Allah and is close to Him, then this is a good thing for this shows Allah’s satisfaction.
- The vision of God Almighty in the form of a human being in a dream is evidence that the dreamer is righteous and right.
- Hearing a voice in the dream as the voice of God shows the significance of the great position and the great thing that the dreamer will receive.
- If the dreamer finds in a dream that God Almighty mentions him in heaven or calls him by his name, then that is a sign of Allah’s satisfaction.
- When the dreamer sees God Almighty in the condition of acceptance, good tidings, pleasure and joy in a dream, this may indicate that the dreamer will meet God on the Day of Resurrection.
- When the dreamer sees God Almighty and is able to look at Him in the dream, this may indicate that the dreamer will be a good servant in the world and enter paradise in the hereafter.
- When the dreamer sees God warning him of things in a dream, this may indicate that he lives in disobedience and must turn and repent.
- When the dreamer sees himself in the hands of God in a region he knows, this may indicate that this region will be covered with blessings and goodness. The oppressed will prevail and defeat the oppressors.
- Talking with God in the dream behind a cover or veil is a sign of the goodness of the dreamer and righteousness of the heart.
- The vision of God Almighty is an evidence of the healing of the patient, security from fear, and good tidings to human beings in general to grant the desires of their hearts, if it was behind a veil.
So seeing God in a dream is permissible. It is good news of God’s acceptance, an expression of His grace and mercy, the forgiveness of sins, and acceptance of piety. Furthermore, it is an evidence of healing from disease and safety from fear.
Allah is speaking today through dreams and visions. When we understand the true interpretations of these dreams, we can live according to His purpose. He may be speaking to you right now. What is your response? Seeking to understand the nature and purpose of your dream is very important. We are committed to helping you understanding your God-given dream(s).