Many people say that dreams are from Allah. Others say that dreams are from Satan. On the other hand, some say that visions are from Allah and dreams from Satan. Is that true?
“Dreams are of three types: a dream from Allah, a dream which causes distress and which comes from the Satan, and a dream which comes from what a person thinks about when he is awake, and he sees it when he is asleep.” (Al-Bukhaari; Muslim).
1. Truthful dreams or visions from Allah (الرؤيا من الله): these dreams are extremely rare. They have a meaning behind them and may require interpretation. These dreams are glad tidings for the believers. Especially at times of tests and trials, these dreams are a source of comfort for believers. They could also be a warning against an evil, or a window to some events that will happen in the future.
There are two types of truthful dreams or visions”
- Clear (واضح) truthful dreams. Only Allah possess the knowledge of the unseen, and He chooses to reveal some of this knowledge to those whom He wills according to His infinite wisdom. There is no need for interpretation. These types of spiritual dreams are to the point, direct & self-interpreted. Dreams can be filled full of symbols: The Lord seems to delight in speaking through symbols, parables, metaphors & stories. God uses imagery and metaphorical language to paint His beauty in our minds and hearts.
- Mysterious (مرموز) truthful dreams require interpretation as they are not clear visions. These dreams require Revelation knowledge, need to be interpreted by someone who has a gift in interpreting dreams of someone who knows how to seek Allah to find revelation. A difficult dream is an invitation to an encounter with the God of all mysteries!!
What should be done when we have good dreams:
- Praise and thank Allah for the good dream
- Feel happy about it
- Talk about it to those whom one loves and trusts.
2. Self Talk (حديث النفس): dream about matters that we are concerned about, and thoughts that occupy our mind. Hence, these dreams are simply a reflection of our inner thoughts and concerns, and hence do not require interpretation.
3. Dreams from Satan (الحلم من الشيطان): Not only does our enemy, Satan, trouble us while we are awake, but also in our asleep! These disturbing dreams are from Satan, as his goal is to make us fearful and scared because he knows that our power and strength lies is in our heart. He wants to weaken our faith, or at least make us sad so that we slack in our worship to Allah.
What should be done when we have bad dreams:
- Seek refuge with Allah from the evil shown in the dream.
- Seek refuge with Allah from the evil of the Satan.
- Should not mention the dream to anyone at all (for it will not harm you)
- It is recommended to pray and seek God’s protection.
If you have any dreams, contact us we would like to help you.